- Get Help
- For Service Providers
2-1-1 Maryland serves the entire State of Maryland and seeks to include health and human service programs and organizations providing services to Maryland residents, regardless of the physical location of the service provider.
Policy on Inclusiveness
It is the intention of 2-1-1 Maryland to make the 2-1-1 database address on a timely basis the changing needs of all groups in its service area. In general, the following will be included:
- Nonprofit and critical for-profit organizations, individual practitioners and governmental agencies and officials providing health, social service, educational, library, employment, legal, recreational and other human services.
- Nonprofit organizations, such as religious groups, social clubs and community associations, that offer services to the community at large, not just to their own members.
- Nonprofit self-help support groups (a "self-help group" is a voluntary gathering of people who share a similar problem, condition or history). The group should charge no fees for services, although it may ask for donations to cover expenses for a meeting space.
- Nonprofit and critical for-profit, multi-state or national organizations not located in Maryland that provide health and human services to Maryland residents.
- Nonprofit organizations that advocate for human service programs and policies that support a healthful environment.
- Licensed hospitals, health clinics, personal care homes and home health agencies.
Service Areas Not Fully Represented in Database
The Child Care Resource Center system (managed by the Maryland Family Network) and the Maryland Access Point (MAP) program (operated by the Maryland Department of Aging, County offices on aging, and regional Centers for Independent Living) are statewide information and referral programs focused, respectively, on child day care and services for the elderly and people with disabilities. Because each of these programs has a highly specialized database relating to its specialized field of service, 2-1-1 Maryland does not attempt to replicate them in its database. However, these specialized programs themselves are included in the 2-1-1 Maryland database and referrals are made to them. In the instance of organizations that include child care and/or services for the elderly as well as human services for other persons, the organization will be included in the 2-1-1 Maryland database.
Types of Organizations not Usually Included
Although 2-1-1 Maryland desires to make the database inclusive, certain types of organizations are not ordinarily included:
- Nonprofit or for-profit organizations that provide health and human services but explicitly deny service on the basis of color, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, gender identity, or nationality or require membership fees that serve primarily to discourage certain groups of persons from seeking their services.
- Nonprofit and for-profit organizations and governmental agencies that offer services that are unlawful under Maryland or local statute, ordinance, regulation or order.
- Nonprofit and for-profit organizations and governmental agencies that have been publicly charged with or convicted of actions not in the best interests of those persons they serve.
- Private practices of medicine, social work, nursing, counseling, psychiatry, psychology, physical or occupational therapy, etc that do not accept Medicare, Medicaid or offer a sliding fee scale. However, callers are directed to other organizations whose role is to make referrals to private practitioners.
- Any organization that repeatedly fails to respond to 2-1-1 MD requests for current program information or misrepresents, by omission or commission, pertinent information about their services or any other pertinent matter.
- Any type of housing that does not have oversight by a governmental or other regulatory body.
- Organizations that have not been in existence for at least one year.
Legal Effect of this Policy
THIS POLICY DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN AGREEMENT ON THE PART OF 2-1-1 MARYLAND OR OTHER 2-1-1 MARYLAND AFFILIATES TO INCLUDE OR CONSIDER THE INCLUSION OF ANY PARTICULAR ORGANIZATION OR PROGRAM IN THE 2-1-1 MD DATABASE, AND 2-1-1 MARYLAND AND 2-1-1 MARYLAND AFFLIATES SHALL HAVE NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR THEIR DECISIONS OR ACTIONS WITH RESPECT TO THE INCLUSION OR FAILURE TO INCLUDE ANY ORGANIZATION OR PROGRAM IN THE 2-1-1 MARYLAND DATABASE.
Publication of this Policy
This policy is distributed to 2-1-1 Maryland partner agency staff and included as part of staff training. In addition, it is included on the UWCM web site.
Adoption and Updating this Policy
This policy statement was originally prepared in June 2000, reviewed and modified in May 2001, substantially modified in July 2003, revised in May 2009 and March 2011.
*Approved by Board of Directors, September 25, 2003
or Search The Database
People with Disabilities
with questions about the
2-1-1 MD database?